Friday 28 September 2012

Rich Fabric - A Different Kind of Anthology


What do I know about quilting? Well, a lot more than I did in May this year when author Melinda McGuire (Josephine: Red Dirt and Whiskey, When I Met Crazy in the Morning, Nelson and Cora) contacted me to ask whether I would like to contribute a story to her new anthology.

Of course, I said yes.

But this was not the usual type of anthology that I tend to contribute to. Most of the collections I have submitted to in the past (and the ones I plan to send stories to in the future) are horror anthologies. And Melinda's was about the traditions and techniques of quilting.

Rather different!

I wasn't sure whether I could write something that would work in the context, but I thought I would try... It would test me, if nothing else!

And the profits from the anthology are all going to The Twilight Wish Foundation, a charity set up to help the elderly, and to ensure they have a fulfilling old age.

The Twilight Wish Foundation wants to make the world a nicer place to age, one wish at a time. Through donations and volunteers, the foundation is able to assist those less well off to enjoy their old age. On the website there is a list of 'open wishes' which includes everything from donating to enable a chronically ill artist to have her paintings framed to helping a senior with terminal cancer visit her childhood home for the last time.

I had never heard of such a charity before becoming involved in Melinda's wonderful anthology, but I think it is a wonderful idea. Old age can be lonely, frightening, and something to ignore. The Twilight Wish Foundation shows that, with a little compassion and a little heart, the elderly don't have to disappear.

Rich Fabric is out today, 28th September, and can be bought from Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Rich-Fabric-Anthology-Symbolism-Tradition/dp/1479278378/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1348655663&sr=8-13&keywords=melinda+mcguire)

or Amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rich-Fabric-Anthology-Symbolism-Tradition/dp/1479278378/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1348655663&sr=8-13&keywords=melinda+mcguire)

It contains short stories, illustrations, essays, memoirs, and photographs.

The eBook will be available in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment