Friday 18 May 2012

Published: Alfie Dog

I wrote a short story a little while ago. It was called 'Are We Nearly There Yet?' and it was about a little boy stuck in a car in a traffic jam with his bickering parents.

I liked the story, but I didn't really know what to do with it. It wasn't quite right for a magazine, it didn't have a particular genre, it was just a (perhaps slightly exaggerated) life study. So I kept it in a folder and checked on it every now and then.

Yes, it was still there.

No, I still didn't know where to send it.

Return and repeat.

But then I saw a post in a Facebook writers' group about a new website called Alfie Dog. The editors were looking for stories - no theme or genre in particular, just good, interesting tales - to place on the website. The idea behind gathering all these stories together was to create a virtual book shop, from where customers could download short stories for just a few pence. They could have them as a pdf, mobi (for Kindle), or ePub format, and they could buy as many or as few as they wanted.

It sounded intriguing. And, as much as I love print, and enjoy seeing my work in a physical magazine or book, I decided to give it a shot. I sent 'Are We Nearly There Yet?'. I believe I may even have managed to join the 21st century in hitting that submit button!

The response was fast and useful. The editor, Rosemary Kind, had enjoyed the story, but she had a few comments and she suggested a few changes. She came across as knowledgeable and friendly, and I happily did as I was asked. I have to say, the story is better for it now.

As you may have guessed, the story was accepted. My first foray into being an actual online writer was complete, and it was successful. You can download the story here, and if you do I hope you enjoy it.

As a bonus, I contacted the local paper, the Sheerness Times Guardian, to let them know what I was up to. They were interested enough to interview me and send a photographer, and I certainly enjoyed my moment in the sun!


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! There's nothing like finding a home for that story that's been sitting around on your hard drive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! So nice to hear such good news. :-) I hope you have much future success.

    ReplyDelete