Sunday 17 January 2016

Complaining Is Essential


Don't complain. 

It sounds like a simple philosophy for life, a mantra that can be repeated over and over until it sticks and no more ungrateful, complaining words come out of your mouth.


It sounds like bliss, and at first glance the above quote does seem to be a good one. Don't like something? Change it. Don't complain.

On second glance, thinking about it, changing a situation isn't always possible without a bit of complaint.

But it's okay, because of the second part of the quote - if you can't change the situation that's making you unhappy, change how you think about it.

Gotcha.

Only, actually, I don't get it at all.

I can't suddenly make myself like something that I didn't before. If I don't like it, I don't like it. I have my reasons. It's not just a matter of looking at whatever it is from a different angle and realising that my original thoughts were wrong all the time (oh look! Actually the fact that my car broke down and there are no buses and I have a broken leg so I can't walk anyway is actually fine! It's great! I was just looking at my situation from the wrong angle! Now that I've changed my attitude all is well!).

I think complaining is essential in life.

I don't mean complaining for the sake of it, just for fun, but if something is really wrong, and no amount of attitude changing will right that wrong, then a complaint may well help you. And, although it may not feel like it at the time, if the complaint is aimed at you it can help you too. Don't just assume that whoever is doing the complaining is wrong - they may have a point, and if you think about it, that point may help you grow and succeed.

So, yes, if something is bringing you down, change it. If you can't change it - and sometimes you definitely cannot - then by all means complain. You never know, the situation might change after that. It could even get better than ever.

If you want some help writing a complaint letter, just ask. As a freelance writer I've often complained on other people's behalf! 

No comments:

Post a Comment