Friday 1 January 2016

Happy New Year - 2016? Really?


Yes, here we are. It's 2016 and, whether we're ready or not, it's happening. Resolutions are popular, and easily broken. I've already broken my one and only, which was to write 500 words of fiction* each and every day.



Why haven't I written my 500 words today?

Because I was enjoying some family time. It happens pretty rarely, these days when we're altogether, so yes, I could have hidden myself away upstairs and churned out 500 words, but what would I be missing downstairs? What fun could I be having?

And that's the point.

Writing is fun, it's wonderful, I love it, but it will always be there. My family won't. One day my little girl will be grown up and living somewhere else with her own things to do and her own life to live, and I'll have more than enough time to do my writing.

So for 2016, I guess me real resolution is to enjoy life, take opportunities when they come up, and cherish my family. And if I get days when I write 500 words of fiction, that's a bonus.

Let's make it a good one!

Oh, and those resolutions that everyone loves so much are listed on www.supplymanagement.com. They are:

1. Get fitter and healthier (63 per cent)
2. Drink less alcohol (57 per cent)
3. Lose weight (34 per cent)
4. Get out of debt (26 per cent)
5. Stop smoking (22 per cent)
6. Find a new job/change career (18 per cent)
7. Spend more time with friends/family (14 per cent)
8. Start my own business (11 per cent)
9. Travel more (9 per cent)
10. Find love (7 per cent)

*I write for a living, so regularly write upwards of 5,000 words a day for other people. My resolution was to write my own fiction, which lapsed a little in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment